We teach phonics systematically using the Read Write Inc Programme. Our expectations for children at the end of each year are outlined in the table below.
- To be confident in set 1 sounds (m-k).
- To begin to segment and blend words and read some cvc words.
- To read set 1 red words.
- To be confident in set 1 and set 2 sounds.
- To confidently segment and blend words and read cvc and cvcc words.
- To read all of set 1 and 2 red words.
- To spell set 1 red words.
- To be confident in set 1, set 2 and set 3 sounds.
- To read all of set 3 words.
- To write set 2 words.
- To spell set 1 and 2 tricky words.
- To confidently read the first 100 high frequency words and write them accurately.
- To write set 3 words.
- To read and write the next 200 common words.
- Focus on spelling rules.